Friday, February 16, 2007

I Shoud Write a Book

So many times in my life I have been told, "You should write a book!" Well, I would, but where in the world would I start? Lately, I received a unique suggestion to that question, which was...at the beginning! The problem is...my life may not have been boring, but I fear my writing style and creativity may be!

I am being "prodded, encouraged and nudged" by my beautiful daughter, whom many of you know as Sister Mary Lisa. She, by the way, is the child who gave me my "Madre" nickname. When you have 7 (yes, I said seven) children calling you "Mom" all day, someone very smart finally created something unusual that I learned to recognize and respond to, despite all the "mom" words flying around.

I was born the youngest of five girls. It is said that my mother cried when they announced my sex-it was her final and last ditch effort to provide a son for my father, and she failed! I believe she eventually appreciated my gender, since I was the only one available to take care of her and dad in their final 10 yrs of life. I could be wrong, but I don't think there are many sons who provide that service for their folks.

I was also raised in a home of mostly adults, there being 4-6 yrs between each of us. Consequently, I heard a lot of "grow up" and "don't be so silly" criticisms. My home was also a very strict Mormon home, which I think gave me some very sound, good values-some of which I have forsaken! And, for that reason, I don't really have a relationship with any of my sisters, which is sad. It did, however, give me the strength to hang in there and do what I needed to do at times when the going seemed impossible. On the other hand, it encouraged me to hang in there in other situations when it would have been much less painful to simply "cut my losses" and give up! So....I have always said, "There is nothing so bad that some good can't come of it. And, there is nothing so good that some bad can't come of it".

Well, this is just a small capsulization of aka madre. I hope you aren't bored to death! In the coming months I hope to learn to get to know you all better. And, I hope to share more of me...I am not a protected, virgin eared saintly woman. So, for those of you who have expressed concern over me reading their blogs....not to worry. I just hope I don't shock you all to death at times!

Ta da....aka madre

14 comments:

Sister Mary Lisa said...

GREAT first post, Madre. You should write a book!

And yeah, I laughed at the comments in my post from people warning you not to be shocked at their blogs or their words. Ha ha ha. How little they know you (yet!)...

:) I love you.

sml

Taiko Tari said...

Hello aka Madre,
I loved this post! Your daughter and yourself are truly gifted writers. Do you also make drawings?

That's quite an intriguing point where you wrote that not many boys give the 'service' like you did, taking care of your parents at their last 10 years. Coming from an Asian background, usually parents stay with the oldest boy in the family. Because in some Asian culture (Indonesian is my background, but also applicable to Japanese people), when daughters marry, they move to be with the husband's family, which will result in the inevitable taking care of the parents in-law, not so much your own.

Anyways, I look forward to reading more posts from you!

Taiko Tari

aka madre said...

Hello taiko tari,

Thank you for the nice compliment. Yes, it is much different in our culture. My sister has two Chinese daughters-in-law. She loves them and admires them very much and praises how wonderful they are to her.

I am now dating a man whose mother is getting older. I look forward to being able to help with her when/if the time should come that she needs us.

You sound like a wonderful person. I look forward to getting to know you better.

Please take care....aka madre

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Funny you didn't mention your 2 wonderful son-in-laws up north! See what L has done to us. She's now got us both doing this. What's next? Hugging each other :) Hope all is well.... Love D

aka madre said...

aka says to Dart...she has a better chance of us getting us to hug each other than she does getting me to draw! I think she got her artistic talent from me, because I certainly have none left!

Hope all is well with you, too...

Love, aka madre

Sideon said...

Welcome to the blogosphere, aka madre. For the record, I'm one who's cringed a few times with my comments, wondering if I'd offend you or cause your eyeballs to burst into flames.

I look forward to learning more about you! Your saying is so very very wise: "There is nothing so bad that some good can't come of it. And, there is nothing so good that some bad can't come of it." Tangentially - that reminds me of a t-shirt that I want that says: "You're either nucking futs or *ucking nuts."

Do you mind if I add your linky link to my blogroll?

aka madre said...

Welcome Sideon,

I would love it if you added me to your links. I need to learn to do that. Would you mind if I added you, when I have the time to sit and really "play" and explore the possibilities of blogging?

I really did love your story...and I understand your wincing when a "mother" came on. But, as I said, I have made a 180 degree turn in my life and am soooo much happier now!

Hope your day is good...

aka madre

Sideon said...

You're added :)

Sure thing - add me if you'd like!

Be well.

Ros said...

Welcome Madre,

Isn't it amazing that you can find such an awesome community of people online?

kitten said...

WElcome from me, too, aka madre! Love the way you've started out and hope to hear much much more. It's good to know you can't (or hopefully) be shocked at least too much. SOme of us can say some totally cool, crude and absurd stuff. Good luck and bless you for having such a wonderful daughter as Lisa.

Sister Mary Lisa said...

Hiya Mod. Listen, the proper thing to do when one quits one's second job is to post a blog post about it, OK? You can leave out names and details, but just let us know what's new with you, OK?

:) Love ya.

Cele said...

Argh, blogger ate my comment.

To echo Sid, welcome to blogdom Aka. I look forward to reading much more from you, and you should think about writing that book. You'll find it addictive, catharic, and amusing. Let other's be the judge of your hidden talent, because we are our own worse judges.

I am now adding you to my blogroll. Write On!

Oh, and you should get Lisa to find/make/steal you an Avatar, maybe something with apron strings. Er, just sayin' :)

aka madre said...

Thank you, Cele...I appreciate your comments, and yes, I would like an avatar. I love Lisa's! I have been working two jobs, but just quit the second one, so maybe now I won't be so tired and can feel a little more creative. We ARE our own worst judges, aren't we? I've always been excellent at that! :-)

I will add you to my links, also (if I can figure out how!) I'm going to visit Lisa on Easter, so maybe she can show me some awesome tricks to use!

I look forward to getting to know you better.

aka Madre