Wednesday, March 14, 2007

History of a Marriage - Part I

I was having one of those “we can’t say enough” conversations with my oldest son the other night, and we were philosophizing as to how amazing it is that our lives have turned out nothing like we had ever pictured them. The thought just won’t leave my head-I wake up in the morning thinking about it.

He was wistful at the fact that he loves children so much…and yet, is turning 36 this yr., with no prospect of marriage and seriously doubting that he will ever be a father. (What a pity-he really would be an awesome one!) He was pondering the fact that he was/is so much the father-figure in our home and if perhaps that’s why.

And then there is me and my life. My main ambition from childhood on (remember I grew up in the 50’s and 60’s), was to be nothing more than a wife and mother. I figured I’d have about 4 children, live in a nice home with a white picket fence, and be adored my husband. I would be the closest thing to June Cleaver anyone could possibly imagine. I would marry a doctor, have plenty of money and my children would call me blessed. My home would be neat, clean and beautiful. I would cook wonderful meals. I would always be thin and attractive. Ours would be a home of love and righteousness. And, when my children grew up, they would all come over for Sunday dinner with my grandchildren. We would spend every holiday together-gathered around my table, heavy-laden with delicious dishes as one big, happy family.

Well, my dreams started out well enough. I married my high school sweetheart, who had a four year presidential scholarship to BYU and ambitions of becoming a doctor. I had a one year scholarship-and we seemed to all to be the perfect couple. The talents I lacked, he had-and vice versa. I couldn’t imagine how intelligent and well-rounded our children would be. Then, Viet Nam happened. I honestly don’t know how much “blame” can be laid at that doorstep. Although he wasn’t in front line combat, he was definitely a different person when he came home. Add to that the fact that I was 8 months pregnant with our first child when he went into basic training and 13 months later, the second child, (sml), was born. Twelve months later, number 3 came along. Here we were trying to adjust to each other, him returning from a war zone and being the parents of three babies together. He couldn’t handle it, so he escaped into church work and scouting, a pattern he would follow for the next 19 yrs.-until our divorce. He still escapes into church work. As my seventh wise child says, “It keeps him unhappily alive.”

After three yrs. of army we returned to BYU, where he worked very hard and got excellent grades at the same time he was in the Bishopric and graduate school. Oh, I remember all the people who told me how lucky I was to be married to such a wonderful man. And how well I remember the pain of not being able to tell anyone that this pillar in the church was, as an LDS counselor later told me, “Nothing but a whited sepulcher-who looked so good on the outside, but full of nothing but dead man’s bones”.

Two and a half yrs. after child no. 3, no. 4 was born. I had my hands full. My husband was in school all day, came home to eat and change clothes and then would go to the church until about 11:00 each night. I had no car…just ate, slept and drank children. I remember one night telling him that I needed something more. I needed something to look forward to or to feel like I was accomplishing something and he answered, “Tough. This is what God wants you to be. So be happy with it.” Two yrs. later we had our second son and child no. 5. Finally, another boy, and we were thrilled. But, shockingly, he died of crib death 7 wks. later. Luckily for us, our marriage was strong during that experience. And, I have never felt such Heavenly comfort. It is unexplainable. I was unable to write about it, even in my journal. Then, two yrs. later, I awoke in the middle of the night with a poem in my head and I turned on the light and began writing. I hesitate to share it because I know it is not poetically or grammatically correct. But, it is mine, and here it is:
THE VISITORS

Death came last night.
And, like a thief, stealthily
Stole our child’s spirit
From us.

Grief came this morning.
But, like a visitor in a
Foreign land, could not
Stay long-he did not speak
Our language.

Peace visited today.
The joy of her presence is
Inexpressible; and although
She cannot stay forever-
Her brand upon our hearts will.

Joy lives here now.
We make her welcome, for
She assures us that he still lives
Beyond the envying of this life.

And we now know that
Very soon he will smile,
We will cuddle, and his
Tiny fingers will again grasp ours
And lead us into Eternity.

Aka Madre

8 comments:

Cele said...

Argh, there a moments I really dispies blogger. It ate my comments. I will try to remember exactly what I wrote.

Beautiful poem. It conveys all I believe you were trying to capture, all that you felt. But DO NOT EVER apologize for your poetry. Poetry does have rules, but even more so poetry and style is specific its the poet.

I've been writing poetry since I was in my early teens. I write with pretty ridgid form. But I read all types of poetry, and when it speaks to the heart and imparts the feelings and emotions of the poet's vision, isn't that perfect in itself?

Your poem evokes the emotions of loss and healing and gives to its reader. A beautiful poem.

Sister Mary Lisa said...

Great history here. I look forward to getting more memories from yours...

aka madre said...

Well, I despise blogger, also. My reply did not save. I appreciate your comments, cele. I don't have the confidence I once had in my writing. Lack of practice, I guess. My greatest challenge is knowing which experience to focus on. I've had so many! lol

I hope you and my beautiful daughter have a wonderful day! aka

Sideon said...

Beautiful poem, madre. As cele said, and I agree - you don't ever have to apologize for poetry. It's an expression of you and your experiences and perspectives... and what you wrote speaks volumes in such a short space.

Be well.

Taiko Tari said...

What a lovely memorabilia. I am so sorry for your loss.

Say, I was just wondering, at what point in life do we start living our dream? When do we fully realize that we are living it?
What about if you have few too many dreams and you want to live in all of them.
I know these are all rethoric questions, but your post really got me thinking now.

aka madre said...

Thank you all for your thoughtful comments. Taiko, I don't think there's a specific "age" at which we finally realize we are living our dream. For me it has come with maturity to realize that the moment I'm in right now needs to be my dream. And I've learned the importance of being flexible, open-minded and accepting (not controlling) of myself and others that has opened up my happiness and made me grateful to live today's dream. I am so much more at peace now that I accept what has happened to me and recognize all the wonderful things, that may not have been in my dream in the past, but is my pleasant reality now. A "for instance"...I live with a wonderful man whom I'm not married to. In my past, that was one of the most terrible, despicable things I could picture myself doing. Absolutely, positively unthinkable. It is my beautiful life now. We are very happy. Do I have a perfect, worry-free existence? NO. But, I have made it through some pretty tough things, so I just relax and try to enjoy. I hope this answers your question, at least a tiny bit. Thank you for asking...aka Madre

kitten said...

Madre, you are an inspiration. The words in your poem are beautifully profound and you comment to cele expressed even more about yourself...I hope someday I can become so accepting of my life, I am working on it and do love it very much. I guess what I mean is that someday I want to be able to look back and feel the words you wrote.

aka madre said...

Thank you, Kitten. I can tell from your understanding of what you read that you are well on your way to "living your happiness now". We do have important decisions in life and we do have to live with the consequences...but the important things is to glean the good we can out of them both.
Have a wonderful day/life! aka madre